Saturday, October 24, 2009

Day 5 - Almond Meal


What is Almond Meal?
Almond meal is just ground up almonds, usually with the skin still on. Almond flour is ground up blanched (skin off) almonds. The two can basically be used interchangeably.

Mark's Daily Apple has a great article on the Many Uses of Almond Meal.

Picture is of Pumpkin Lasagna. If you are Facebook, check out Paleo Pantry. They have great photos and recipe ideas!

10 comments:

  1. Here was my Saturday contribution to the Paleo Diet:

    1. 2 large helpings of spaghetti and meatballs
    2. 76 M&M's
    3. Two of those pumpkin muffins (what flavor were those supposed to have?)
    4. I start Paleo in 1-2 days. I've been zone dieting for approx. 8 months so I'm fairly confident in what I've been doing.
    5. I need more "Du Hast"

    ReplyDelete
  2. B: SAusage, mixed veggies, butternut squash... Apparently it also had maple syrup. :( & coffee

    L: grilled chicked salad

    D: pork chop, butternut squash with cinnamin and a bitvof honey, cucumber salad, fruit salad with walnuts

    lots of olympic lift work over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I did well until Friday night. My rehearsal dinner meal was pre-ordered a few weeks ago, before I decided to do the Paleo Challenge. Saturday wasn't great, either. I didn't do terrible for breakfast, but the dinner options did not lean in my favor. I had to eat what ever I could. I also managed to put back four beers and then a bottle of wine. Oops! I did well for breakfast and dinner today, but lunch was a loss. I'm still sick and wasn't feeling up to making lunch.

    Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled in bacon grease, 3 pieces of sf bacon, granny smith apple, & almond butter

    Lunch: 2 slices of meat pizza, thin crust

    Dinner: chicken tortilla soup, minus the tortilla. This was soooo good! I will definately make this one again, but with more chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. B - 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon, 5 strawberries, 1/2 c cooked spinach, 1 tomato, pecans
    S - 2.5 oz tuna, 1/2 small banana, almond butter cup of McAlister's unsweetened tea
    L - Honey Pecan Pork chop 12 asparagus
    D - Pumpkin lasagna, 3 squares dark chocolate, cup of hot tea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Babs, I'd love to have your tortilla soup recipes, it it my favorite soup! Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found a great site for Almond Meal if anyone is interested. It's much cheaper than buying it at the store. They sell a 5lb bag for $26.99, but I found a 10% off coupon code: Honey58.

    http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/lowcarbbaking.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy-
    Use this link for the tortilla-less soup. It had a really nice spice to it.
    http://www.evernote.com/pub/hbabcock/paleo#Note/7017afae-f2ba-4763-bc6e-7eac6747a5b5

    It mentions chicken broth, but I found this recipe for Paleo broth.
    http://www.evernote.com/pub/hbabcock/paleo#Note/93515ce7-f3a7-4341-81ca-75cd95e76dc9

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Babs!! I can't wait to try it! I am making Kate's butternut squash soup right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oohh! where is that recipe?!

    ReplyDelete