Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 3 - Protein Powder


Yesterday, I received a question from Babs about whether protein powder is Paleo.  

For this 36 day challenge, the short answer is no.

However, here's what Robb Wolf had to say about it:

I would not attack this from a paleo/not paleo perspective but rather is it A-healthy or B-helpful to performance?

Depending upon the circumstances it may be yes and no in both those situations. I REALLY recommend folks stick with solid food unless they simply can not get in enough food otherwise. 

It is very easy to overdo liquid foods, both in carbs and total amount of calories.
So, for the next few weeks, try to stay away from consuming too much.  If you can, put it in the back of the pantry until we're through.  If not, save it for the occasional post-workout snack.  Instead, stick to eating creatures that once had legs or fins.

If you absolutely must have protein powder, read the label and stick to egg or hemp protein as whey comes from cow milk.  And make sure the liquid you're throwing in the blender is almond or coconut milk.

Bonus: Here's a link to answer a lot of Paleo questions. (But still feel free to ask away so we can all share in the info!)

15 comments:

  1. I'm going to disagree a little. I agree it should not be your main source of protein Loren Cordain disucsses it's use in post recovery drinks in Paleo diet for Athletes book. He recommends both whey protein and egg protein powders.

    I will continue to use in for my breakfast smoothies because honestly it is very convient and I have to be at work by 6 am. Eggs at 5:30 just don't appeal to me and it too much work.

    Smoothies and protein powder are not my main forms of food, so I think it is okay, but I can see where it could be overused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, when this challenge came up, i started looking around online, gathering information. i have started adding recipes. it is a public notebook. i am all about sharing recipes with one another.

    http://www.evernote.com/pub/hbabcock/paleo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather-can someone else add to your evernote? I have that packet of recipes as a pdf...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the evernote! I can't wait to make those Paleo pumpkin muffins!

    So, if we make things like the pumpkin muffins, and the blueberry "pancakes" etc. how much of that stuff do we want to eat? It's Paleo, good ingredients and nutritious, but what kind of serving are we looking at? Everyday, a couple times a week? What do you guys think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy- I say eat up! But go easy on the honey and agave nectar. Limit your imtake of those to a few times a week or less.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa- Sounds good! I know I spend at least 30 min each morning cooking. And I don't have kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok i'm in SF right now and my eating is not going that well. I'm trying but after 12 hours in the airport yesterday and then dinner tonight.... my challenge officially starts on Monday. Sorry for skewing the results but on Monday, it's ON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Question: What about flavored coffee beans? The hubs brought home some "caramel macchiato" whole coffee beans for me tonight from fresh market and I hated to crush him by saying I don't think I can have that. Please tell me it's okay:).

    If it's not, I'll be anxiously awaiting Thanksgiving morning when I can brew some.

    Overate today, serious munchies:
    B - 20oz. coffee, 2 fried eggs, 3 slices applewood bacon
    L - 1/2 chicken breast, 1c. butternut squash soup, 30 pecan halves
    S - 1 cherry pie larabar, 1 apple, 20oz. coffee
    D - 8oz. salmon, 1c. brussel sprouts, 30 R/S almonds
    S - 1 apple

    ReplyDelete
  10. B - unsweetened hot tea, 2 eggs, 3 slices no sugar bacon, 1 red pepper
    S - 2.5 oz tuna, 1 apple, walnuts
    L - 10 asparagus spears, pork chop, pomegranate, walnuts

    Headed to the grocery. I think I am going to try and make either the pumpkin pie or the pizza tonight or the pumpkin muffins! Yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. B - two turkey sausage links, orange, and some almonds. cup of coffee
    S - cup of almond milk
    L - scrambled eggs, bacon, carrots, and blackberries
    S - walnuts and apple sprinkled with cinnamon
    D - Chipotle (chicken, green pepper/onion, corn salsa, hot sala, lettuce, and guac)

    pumpkin muffins are in the oven - they are very orange (just an observation) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. B: 3 eggs, 2 bacon
    1/2 butternut squash
    nuts

    S: mac attack & nuts

    L: paleo protein birger from in & out burger

    D: to come...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dinner was very random. I spend forever in the grocery and decided to eat a larabar (thanks Kate for introducing me to them! they are great) and two squares of 70% dark organic chocolate. Not the best dinner at all, but it was paleo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dinner: Beef tri-tip, asparagus & salad w/ paleo dressing
    and some nuts

    ReplyDelete
  15. B- 3pieces bacon, 2 eggs, 1 glass OJ, almonds
    S- pumpkin muffin
    L-Barbecued shrimp w/ peppers & onion. apple
    S- pluot, chicken, almonds
    D- hamburger w/ avocado, tomato, lettuce & onion. Corn

    ReplyDelete