Unfortunately for those who don't have children, their right to dispense advice on parenting has been stripped. "What do you know about kids!?" say the parents. Perhaps some actual info will help persuade parents to make changes in their children's life as well as their own.
Using the BMI calculation (which is somewhat accurate for sedative children), the rate of severe childhood obesity has tripled in the last 25 years. As well, children are now susceptible to Type 2 Diabetes, once dubbed "adult-onset diabetes".
The problem is clear, as is the solution. To prevent disease, promote healthy growth, and raise a healthier child into a functioning adult, a steady diet of meats, vegetables, fruits, and nuts is the way to go. There's no need to completely forbid pizza at birthday parties, but teaching children what is right to eat most of the time will pave a path toward longevity and a more healthy lifestyle.
*Marks Daily Apple's article inspired this blog-posting.
So, here's the question for discussion: If you have children, do they follow a Paleo diet? If you don't, how would you raise your children in regards to nutrition?
Mine do not. They eat a lot of fruit, not many veggies and not much meat aside from some pasta with meat sauce, real chicken and the nugget variety.
ReplyDeleteI send decent lunches to school with Charlie, peanut butter/honey sandwich (made with 1 slice of bread), natural applesauce, grapes (or some fruit) and organic milk. Meredith eats lunch at daycare.
For dinner I am really just happy if they eat. I keep healthy snacks on hand, nuts, string cheese, natural applesauce and they tend to graze a lot.
I refuse to make mealtimes and food a source of argument. I don't want food to become a power struggle. They don't like meat now, so I don't force them to eat it, I offer but that is it. They are eating more veggies but not a lot, in time that will come.
I know this is long, but I guess my answer is that I keep nutritious food around, teach them about what is healthy and what isn't and just go from there. We aren't perfect and they have pizza about once every 2 weeks and nuggets with apples once a week, but overall I think we are doing a good job.
My two boys (Trey 7 and Sam 10 months) do not follow a Paelo Diet but I do. Trey eat's tons of fruits and veggies though as well as chicken breasts or grilled chicken tenders. He has maybe 1 soda a week as a little treat. Overall he eats pretty healthy (and it show's) but he does have his pizza and mac n' cheese cause he loves them. But know's when he has thoughs items he is usually getting a nice helping of Broc or Spinach along with it.
ReplyDeleteSam on the other hand usually eats Baby Foods that my wife makes him along with baby foods we get at Whole Foods (All Organic stuff). He also eats cut up fruit and veggies along with grilled chicken. Sadly he has to drink Soy Formula because he has a bad reaction to the protein in normal milk.
So both kiddos are not to far off a pure paelo diet but are not strictly on it..